It is said that Horse Racing Festival in Damxung is introduced from Mongolia to Tibet. So far a singer who can sing the song in Mongolian comes to sing Mongolian song. Damxung Horse Racing Festival (Dang Ji Ren Horse Race Festival in Tibetan language means Lamas chant sutras.) starts on every July 10th of Tibetan calendar, takes three days, and lasts for more than one month. In fact, the Festival is done for the good harvest, the commodity fair and the entertainment. Gradually, Lama Culture and politics permeate the Festival.
Day 1 (1st, August): arrive in Lhasa (alt.3650m) by air
Highlights: No visiting arranged today.
Schedule: Picked up at the airport or train station and offered a white scarf (called Hada) in a Tibet traditional way which brings you good luck and transferred to the hotel and rest as much as possible for acclimatization and better to drink more water.
Day 2 (2nd, August): Lhasa Sightseeing
Highlights: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street
Schedule: In the morning you will visit the world heritage site of Potala Palace, and in the afternoon visit Jokhang Temple (world heritage site) and Barkor Street Market, a big free market with its prolific stalls for selling local specialties
Day 3 (3rd, August): Lhasa →Namtso Lake (alt.4718m) →Damxung(alt.4200m).
Highlights: Namtso Lake
Schedule: Drive 245km to Namtso Lake from Lhasa city in the morning. Have a shot stop for the beautiful view of the grassland near Yangpacheng. When arriving Namtso Lake in the afternoon, enjoying the glory of the holy lake. By the lake, you can do the hiking around the lake and view the peak of Nyianchentangula (7162m). After this, continue to drive back to Damxung to enjoy the sunset over the wild grassland and have a good rest there and expect the next day's horse racing festival to come
Day 4 (4th, August): Damxung horse racing festival (alt.4200m).
Highlights: horse race, archery and other recreational performances
Schedule: stay the whole day here to feel the true northern Tibetan landscape and tradition, in the evening you can also join in the bonfire evening party with local Tibetans to sing and dance
Day 5 (5th, August): Damxung→Lhasa→ airport
Highlights: scenery long the road back
Schedule: in the morning, drive back to lhasa, enjoy some free time by yourself upon arrival, and in the afternoon transfer you to the airport.
1. Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
2. All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
3. Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
4. Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
5. All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
1. Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
2. Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
3. Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
4. Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
5. Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.